Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Morning of Departure


           I awoke at 8:30 this morning, a half hour before my alarm, knowing it is my last day. The thought I do not belong here, that this is not my life, seems incredibly strange in this waking moment. I have been here, living in this house, that my mind seemed to accept that this was now my new life, and yet, I am going home today. Home, Boston, it seems so far away to me in this very moment. 
I get up, dressed and walk down the the studio to chat with Zandra. She works on Saturdays, in fact I don’t actually know if she takes any days off from working. We sit and talk for a while before It is time for me and my room mate Ruth to have out last breakfast together. I invite Zandra but she is in the middle of working and like a true artist must tend to the garden of her art. 
I get to have my first traditional English breakfast this morning. Ruth and I go to this little hole-in-the-wall place that does “a tradition fry up.” I tell the man to put anything and everything that might give me a heart attack on my plate, for that is what breakfast is all about. It is a lovely breakfast, but I still have to say that I-Hop trumps it. Then again, I Hop it a force to be reckoned with if your being unhealthy. 
We walk back to Zandra’s and I get the chance to talk a bit more with her before parting. I also get the chance to ask her if it would be alright if I put on one of her garments and got a photo with her. She agrees but insists standing behind me because she is in her work clothing for making art. So I was abel to snap this photo, which I am sure someday I will show this photo to my kids and grandkids summing up this amazing journey to the world of Zandra Rhodes. 
Finally, after photos, hugs, and goodbyes I am walking back to the tube with my two bags wheeling behind me. I have managed to take the tube to and from the airport on this trip, and it has saved me roughly 175 pounds by doing so. If you can manage to keep you calm while in a new world and lots of people, I would highly recommend taking the public transit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment